Cloud9 IDE - Online IDE

Deploy to (S)FTP From Any Cloud9 Workspace

deploy
By | 7 Comments

The FTP and SFTP protocols are commonly used for deploying hosted web applications. So far, we have been offering FTP support in specialized “FTP workspaces”, but as of today we are introducing a new approach where any Cloud9 workspace supports FTP deployments. In this article we’ll tell you all about the new FTP deployment feature and why you should use it.

Using FTP with Hosted Cloud9 Workspaces

We recently wrote a series of articles of some of the things you can do with Cloud9 workspaces. Each Cloud9 workspace comes with its own virtual machine, where you have access to a terminal. With that terminal, you can install packages using c9pm, you can install MySQL, or pretty much anything you want.

For our specialized FTP workspaces, we can’t offer all those features. With dedicated FTP workspaces, all your files reside on your own FTP server. We can’t just go and install MySQL over there. That’s why we’re now introducing a new way of working with FTP.

So, from now on, rather than creating a dedicated FTP workspace, try creating a hosted Cloud9 workspace instead:

Creating a hosted workspace

Then you’ll get a Cloud9 workspace with a virtual machine and some storage space hosted by us.

From there, you can deploy folders from your workspace by right-clicking in the file tree:

deploy

As a neat bonus feature, you can also deploy using SFTP using this approach! A handy shortcut there for repeated deployments is control-alt-D.

Comments

* Required fields

1. Brad says:

Very good feature and good titorial. A little bit more info how to use FTP to deploy an application to Jelastic cloud http://blog.jelastic.com/2013/04/08/web-development-cloud9-browser/

2. Rick says:

It would be nice if this feature was enhanced to support SFTP when the server requires an SSH key. It would be useful for deployment to an Amazon EC2 instance.

3. AJ says:

would love a hello world tut.

4. Vlad says:

Hell yeah!

5. Luz M. Costa says:

Yay! I guess this means I have to pull my files and upload them to my workspace, but that’s (hopefully) a small one-time task I can live with for now. Thanks for this one!

6. So this is a nice feature! I’m currently using this to get around not being able to share an FTP workspace.

The feature I’d really like is if Deploy could be smarter. For example, if I’m working on a live website say.. a client’s WordPress website and I want to tweak the style sheet. I’ve loaded the system files into c9, and configured the Deploy options. Everything is good up to this point.

Here’s my request: I’d like to be able to ‘save’ the file I’m working on in c9 (ex: style.css), and have 2 things happen:

1) I’d like an option to ‘Deploy on Save’
    2) I’d like ‘Deploy on Save’ to be smart enough to just deploy the one file, instead of the whole directory.

The behavior would be similar to how the FTP workspace currently works, expect the added benefit of having a local copy of the file system.

Currently, I need to ‘Deploy’ the whole directory each time I want to send a single file to the server. Deploying the whole directory for a single file change is very inefficient.

7. Chris Stein says:

I tried this out and it worked fine except… and it’s a big except, the default file permissions where set to just read and write for owner, no public permissions (equivalent to 600 I think).

In order to actually allow people to see the file I had to go into the server with another program and change the permission. This kind of defeats the purpose of FTP. I don’t see any way to set the default file and folder permissions for FTP. IT would be nice if you could either add those controls in or make the default permissions something more reasonable (744 for files and 755 for folders maybe?).